OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2011 15:55:35 -0700
I went to Villa Angela State Park on the east side of Cleveland on Lake Erie today twice from 11:15 to 1:15pm and 3:10  to 4:55pm.  It was mostly overcast with SW to W winds.  There were birds hidden high up in the trees and they were difficult to find so it wasn't real birdy.  It started to shower really hard at 4:40pm and then I left shortly.  Here are a few birds seen:

Spotted Sandpiper 1
Bonaparte's Gulls 30+ on beach
Ring-billed Gulls 250+ (I think the Cleveland air show caused more to fly in from the west, few Herring Gulls
Northern Flickers 3
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Warbling Vireo 1,  Red-eyed Vireo 3
Swainson's Thrush  2, (one feeding on berries, one on ground near Wood Thrush)
Wood Thrush 1 (probably juvenile where I often have seen them in late summer)
Cedar Waxwing 3, few Catbirds

Warblers:
Magnolia 3
Blackburnian 1 (seen at 4:40pm)
Blackpoll 2
Black-and-White 1
American Redstarts 5
Wilson's 2

I went to Sims Park in Euclid from 2:10 to 2:50pm.  There was a major disc golf tournament that started at 2:20 so it was difficult to walk around as there were many people so I didn't stay long.  Saw:

Swainson's Thrush 1 (feeding on berries)
Blackpoll Warbler
American Redstart 1
Canada Warbler 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1