OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
Jim Glover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Glover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2011 23:19:00 -0400
While setting up late this afternoon and early evening for tomorrow's
Upper Arlington Labor Day Arts Festival at Tremont and Northam Roads
in northwest Columbus, we too were thrilled with the show the Common
Nighthawks were putting on.  We commented on the way out of the
grounds that we had never seen so many dragonflies, literally
hundreds!  Around 6, we headed up Tremont and Kenny Roads toward
Henderson and Bethel Roads when we began to encounter first small,
scattered groups of the birds, then groups of over 100.  Probably at
least 350 Common Nighthawks in total, seemingly feeding and slowly
working east toward the Olentangy River.  Ironically, there were
dragonflies all along the route, as well, swooping across the road in
numbers.

What a sight!  It brought back memories of decades ago watching nearly
uncountable numbers of Nighthawks over lakes in the Dayton area as
they gathered in preparation for migration.  Recently it seems that I
only see and hear a pair or two all through the summer over and around
the Crowne Plaza Shopping Center on Bethel Road at Dierker near where
I live in northwest Columbus.

Jim Glover
My Impressions From Nature
(614) 451-9423