OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2011 22:44:27 -0400
Last Friday a small group of birders went to the old church just east of
Galena, Ohio to watch a spectacle and count Chimney Swifts.  What a show we
had.  We observed about 2500 swifts swirl and enter the old church chimney
then counted close to 50 Common Nighthawks moving across the sky along with
about 25 or so large Brown Bats that were coming out of the church.  Several
V's of Canada Geese flew over and we chuckled over their vocalizations.
There is a nice parking lot to observe from and I suggest you take the time
to stop by and see the swifts in action.  Location:  Galena United Methodist
Church 43021, located at 108 Harrison Street in Galena. The church has a
large, two-story chimney that measures 48" x 78" on the outside and is no
longer in use.

Sunday eve I had to visit Sells Middle School in Dublin Ohio for a preview
to our program their on Sept 9.   There were 800 to over a 1000 Chimney
Swifts with the majority of them entering the school chimney between 8:15
and 8:20pm.  I saw one bat go across the parking lot.

This coming Friday Sept 9 at 7:15pm, Columbus Audubon and the Ohio Young
Birders Club central Ohio will come together to count birds and post their
results on the Driftwood Wildlife Association website.  Please visit the
Columbus Audubon website to learn more details on our calendar for field
trips or follow this link to learn more about the swift count and do one in
your area and submit the data.   www.columbusaudubon.org

http://secure.campaigner.com/Campaigner/Public/t.show?N0wi--9QB2-gkbHw4

Darlene Sillick
Powell, Ohio
Columbus Audubon, Program and Field Trip Coordinator and OYBC co-advisor