OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2011 20:59:32 -0400
We visited the mudflats between Greenbower and Price Streets tonight, from 5PM to 6:30PM. Shorebird numbers were very good; unfortunately, we did not find anything new for us for the year or the season. While at the mudflats we recorded 26 species of birds. The following is a list of the shorebirds seen and how many: Black-bellied Plover~1 still in breeding plumage,  Semipalmated Plover~52+,  Killdeer~70+,  Greater Yellowlegs~1,  Lesser Yellowlegs~11,  Sanderling~6,  Semipalmated Sandpiper~8+,  Least Sandpiper~45+,  White-rumped Sandpiper~5,  Baird's Sandpiper~2, and Pectoral Sandpiper~36+. Conditions and timing are perfect for Buff-breasted Sandpiper. The area between here and the SR225 Bridge has been productive in the past, with a maximum of 11 seen at one time. Hopefully someone will see them, when and if they showup! This location is in extreme northeast Stark County, north of the city of Alliance. Take Greenbower Road west from SR225 a short distance to a sloped dirt parking area on the right just before the bridge. Walk to the bottom of the hill to the waters edge and go right. Follow the waters edge, you will be able to see where people have accessed before, till you reach the vast mudflats, about a ten minute leisure, easy, walk. You will have a 270 degree scope scanning view. While in the area check out the Mahoning Valley All-Purpose Trail just to the west on Greenbower or accessed off of Price Street to the west at Deer Creek Reservoir. We presently have recorded 254 bird species for Ohio in 2011. Bob and Denise Lane/ Mahoning County