OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
Ken Keffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Keffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2011 19:07:51 -0400
Howdy Birders,

The stopover habitats of northwest Ohio have been active with birds these
last few days.  Black Swamp Bird Observatory's passerine migration banding
station kicked off the fall season on August 20 and to date, 21 species of
warbler have been banded.  Today we hosted our first banding demonstration
and migration program of the season and highlights included Ovenbird,
Blackpoll, Magnolia, and Black-throated Blue Warblers, and Veery.
(Chestnut-sided, Wilson's, Canada, Black-and-white, Mourning, and Nashville
Warblers have also been seen in the area in recent days.)

--- The Black Swamp Bird Observatory will be hosting additional banding
demonstrations on September 16 and 17 from 8:00 - 9:30 a.m. and September 24
from 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. We offer these programs free of charge and encourage
you to bring your family.  It's a wonderful way to introduce new birders
(especially kids!) to the wonders of birds and bird migration.

Highlights of this morning's Hike the Dikes bird walk through the woodlot
behind Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge were: Wilson's, Black-throated Green,
Canada, Blackburnian, and Bay-breasted Warblers, American Redstart, Warbling
and Red-eyed Vireos, Swainson's Thrush, and Eastern Wood-Pewee.

---The next Hike the Dikes (a partnership between BSBO, Ottawa National
Wildlife Refuge, and Magee Marsh Wildlife Area) will meet October 8 at 9:00
a.m. at the Magee Sportsmen's Migratory Bird Center.

For more information about NW Ohio bird migration, visit BSBO online at:
http://www.bsbobird.org (and/or) http://www.bsbobird.org/birding

KEN

Ken Keffer

Education Director

Black Swamp Bird Observatory
13551 West State Route 2
Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449
419-898-4070

www.bsbobird.org

www.ohioyoungbirders.org

www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.org

Become a fan of BSBO & OYBC on facebook at:

www.facebook.com/bsbobird

www.facebook.com/ohioyoungbirders

Follow BSBO on Twitter:

www.twitter.com/bsbobird