OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2011 20:40:29 -0400
After lunch, my wife Denise and I,  returned to "The Sandspit" from 1:30PM to 3:30PM. A new group of prominent birders were now present to share sightings and recent birding adventure stories with. The rain was now gone. We added four additional species of shorebirds to the previously posted list, bringing the total shorebird species list for the day to 14. Lesser Yellowlegs~4, Semipalmated Plover~4, Killdeer~3, and Ruddy Turnstone~3, were the new afternoon adds. There were now 4 American Golden-Plovers present. Caspian Tern numbers also increased. I now believe there could have been two different Buff-breasted Sandpipers today. Bald Eagles were numerous as usual, with 13 juveniles, and 2 adults. Total bird species recorded reached 46. Explanations of two bird species listed on the previous post are: Conneaut Swamphen refers to a female Ring-necked Pheasant being seen regularly at "The Sandspit", and Malibu Pigeon is a name given by a Pennsylvania birder/photographer to pigeons that like to hang out on and frequent beaches. Amazingly, there was very little negative local activity at "The Sandspit" today! As usual the Conneaut visit was a rewarding one!    Bob Lane