OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:55:53 -0400
I used a few hours yesterday morning to scour the south end of this reservoir north of Columbus.  It's usually a decent migrant trap, and was acting a bit the part yesterday. I hiked around both the beach & visitor center and the New Galena launch area.  The early goose season wiped most of the gulls and shorebirds off the beach here, but about 150 of the gulls relocated to the spillway below the dam. Migrants were scattered in small groups at both areas, and I only found single large mix-species flocks at each area.  highlgihts included:

Cormorants - 3-4 were fishing in the lower lake, a harbinger of hordes to come.
Caspian Tern - an adult & juvenile were circling around the bay at New Galena
Osprey - 1 was hanging around the inlet below New Galena
Swifts - still had flocks of 20-30 over New Galena, but no swallows were seen
Hummingbirds - 1-2 were at each spot, so they're still moving through.
Flycatchers - still loads of Pewees (12-14 on the morning), while a Willow at New Galena was towards the late side
Vireos - good day, with 8-9 Warbling, 3 White-eyed (all along the trail at New Galena), and 6-8 Red-eyed

Thrushes - Swainson's were widespread, with 8-10 birds on the morning.  My FOS Gray-cheeked was eating dogwood berries along the trail at New Galena

Mimids - loads of Catbirds, topped by 30+ at New Galena, were complemented by 4 Thrashers (2 at New Galena, 2 at the Visitors Center fields

Warblers - 12 species, almost all in two mixed-species flocks: Nashville, Tennessee, Magnolia (3), Cape May (2), Black-thr.Green, Yellow-rumped (FOS), Palm (FOS), Blackburnian, Blackpoll (2), Bay-breasted, Black&White (2), Redstart (5)

Bobolink - another single flyover, at the visitors center, keeps this species in the spotlight.