OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
Steven Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 02:46:11 +0000
Big Island is awash with Soras In the older containment areas. I walked the dike of the area near Espyville Rd (the near dry pond) and every ten yards another Sora flushed up off of the bank, and then flew down into the cattails. I was able to get great views of a few when where they flew was still visible.

I also saw Common Moorhens(Juvi. and adults), Coots, BW Teal, Wood ducks, a Kingfisher, GBHs, Red Tail Hawks, Yellow Warbler.  I think I saw a couple of Terns out there as I was heading back, They were flying together towards the far areas and they didn't look like Ducks...I first confused them with Gulls, but they had black in the head area. Heard were Virginia Rails and Trumpeter swans...oddly enough the geese were quiet. :-D

A word of warning.  The early parts of the day, the Teal Hunters are out...so if there are cars in the lot, there are hunters out there.  So wear a bit of orange when you go.  As a tie in to that, when Iwas getting there, I noticed the hunters cars, and decided to sit and wait for them to come out before I head back, and risk getting shot. But as I was sitting there, shots rang out, and the whole area erupted in a chorus of "sora, sora,sora,sora."  It was as if to say "I'm alright, I'm alright, I'm alright, I'm alright,"

I got a couple of pictures from the day with 1 sora and two artsy type pictures.:

http://sjlarue.smugmug.com/Unsorted/OhioBird

Enjoy, have a great week, and God Bless!

Steve J.
(aka sjlarue)
sjlarue.smugmug.com