OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
Sherrie Duris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:17:54 -0600
Without going any farther east than the ponds in Bellev
Birders-

Without going any farther east than the ponds in Bellevue, Ohio, I was able to tally up twenty species of shorebirds in Northwest Ohio this last week.  I never made it out to Lorain or Conneaut this year, but hopefully this side will keep producing, especially during the Midwest Birding Symposium this coming weekend!

In the last two weeks the lake beach at Maumee Bay State Park has had Semipalmated Plovers, Killdeer, Spotted Sandpipers, Ruddy Turnstones, Red Knots, Sanderlings, Semipalmated, Least, Baird's, and Pectoral Sandpipers, and a single Buff-breasted Sandpiper.

On Saturday a flooded field on Corduroy Road in Oregon between Lallendorf & Wynn Roads yielded two Buff-breasted Sandpipers amongst dozens of Killdeer and Horned Larks.

Impoundments MS 5 & MS 6 were productive for shorebirds last Tuesday at Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge. During some scouting I did for a field trip, I had an American Avocet, Red Knot, Baird's Sandpipers, and a single Black-bellied Plover amongst the other peeps that day.

On Saturday morning, John Szanto and I led a shorebird field trip for the Toledo Naturalists' Association at Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge. MS 6 was flooded and MS 5 was void of any shorebirds except for three Long-billed Dowitchers. The habitat was right, but no birds in sight.  Though this area is closed to the public, it will be opened for the auto tour this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (September 16, 17, and 18) during the Midwest Birding Symposium.

Our group decided to head to Bellevue ponds after Ottawa on Saturday.  One of the ponds north of Rt.20 on CR 205 had four Red-necked Phalaropes, and another south of Rt.20 on CR 34 had roughly 164 American Golden Plovers and a Short-billed Dowitcher amongst other peeps. It appears this area should still be productive next weekend and worth checking out.

My list for Tuesday & Saturday's shorebirding...

Black-bellied Plover

American Golden Plover

Semipalmated Plover

Killdeer

American Avocet

Greater Yellowlegs

Lesser Yellowlegs

Solitary Sandpiper

Spotted Sandpiper

Ruddy Turnstone

Red Knot

Sanderling

Semipalmated Sandpiper

Least Sandpiper

Baird's Sandpiper

Pectoral Sandpiper

Buff-breasted Sandpiper

Short-billed Dowitcher

Long-billed Dowitcher

Red-necked Phalarope

I am looking forward to seeing all my birding peeps at the MBS this weekend!

Good Birding!

Sherrie Duris

Webmaster/Field Trip Coordinator

Toledo Naturalists' Association