OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:43:10 -0700
Hello All,
     Shorebird habitat is emerging slowly at the N end of Hoover Reservoir (NE of Columbus) as reported earlier, but the recent rains have not helped. From the end of the boardwalk at area M, a small island is emerging and also some edge habitat beyond. On sunny mornings, this area is best observed from near the end of an old, abandoned roadway that leads S from area N and which is accessed from the SE corner of Galena. Today in this area, there were about a dozen shorebirds which included nearly equal numbers of Semi-palmated Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Killdeer, and a single Short-billed Dowitcher. On the N side of the S Galena bridge, a larger area of edge habitat is emerging. This shallow-water area is located between Little Walnut Creek and Dustin Road. Safe observation of this area is problematic, but if you park along Dustin Road, beyond the guard rail and No Parking signs, you can easily drop down into the wooded area and make your way out to
 the mudflats, while remaining hidden by the trees. Today, the following shorebirds were observed here:

- Semi-palmated Plover, 4
- Semi-palmated Sandpiper, 6
- Least Sandpiper, 6
- Spotted Sandpiper, 1
- Solitary Sandpiper, 1
- Baird's Sandpiper, 1
- Stilt Sandpiper, 2
- Lesser Yellowlegs, 2
- Killdeer, 5

     With no rain, the mudflats area of Hoover Reservoir should become increasingly better by the day, and hopefully in time to attract some of our later migrating shorebirds.

Good luck, and Good Birding!
Dan

Dan Sanders
Powell, OH  43065
614-596-5666

"When a man destroys a piece of art we call him a vandal; when he destroys
a work of nature we call him a developer." Anonymous