OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
"Barrett,Robert P" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barrett,Robert P
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 11:46:19 -0400
"It's interesting to see that when shorebirds are
legal to hunt, other governments' agencies find it easy enough to
provide habitat for them in migration. If yellowlegs were again legal to
hunt here (the Ohio Revised Code still calls them game species, only
temporarily disallowed--see ORC 1533.02) would shorebirds overall have a
better chance here??"
Bill Whan
Columbus

Yes, Bill, I think so.
The continuing emphasis on habitats (not just preservation but expansion) for game species and the neglect of habitats for non-game species is a strong indicator, as you point out.  Ducks, geese, and the larger gallinaceous birds have been mass-marketed, and now have strong constituencies to defend their habitats to increase the supply.  Because the demand is large, the supply must be multiplied to meet it.  If the customers' cravings are satisfied by teal and turkeys, there is no need to produce additional crops of smaller species (sora, yellowlegs, marsh wrens, etc) for the market.  Yes, I know that wild game may not be legally sold, but a highly regulated market is still subject to the forces of supply and demand for the commodity.  The commodity here is not the carcass of the wild bird, but the experience of trying to shoot such birds in flight.  Customers buy a license to hunt, with no guarantee of success.  Government agencies, and many non-profit groups, go to great lengths to try to improve the chances of success for hunters of the specific legally allowed game species.  Side effects that benefit or damage other species are incidental.  I think we would all agree that having public wildlife refuges where seasonal hunting is allowed is better than having none at all.

But is that the best we can expect?  Is turning shorebirds (or songbirds, or hummingbirds) into profitable commodities the best way to ensure the preservation of their habitat and the survival of the species?  More precisely, is the game-bird-hunting-experience-commodity approach the most effective for keeping a bird species abundant and off the endangered species list?  Since birds come in such a range of sizes, where is there any rational line between game species and fully protected - but neglected in practice - non-game species?

Dr. Bob Barrett
Geology and Environmental Sciences
and
World Civilizations: Latin America