OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:26:52 -0400
Bob and others interested:
        Hunters and trappers remove items of value from the landscape, using
means that require oversight, registration, enforcement, and many
additional costs. The system seems to be working all right, but it has
to cost far more than accommodating wildlife observers, hikers, etc. in
the same habitats. The costs are very different.
        Many of us gladly pay more for local park levies than we used to, even
though we do not exhaust the resource, but a much larger proportion of
more or less wild public lands are paid for by hunter/trapper licenses,
fees on resource extraction industries and ranchers, etc., all of whom
presumably feel they are getting their money's worth. But you have to
wonder if wildlife observers need to chip in as much, since they do not
diminish the resource or profit from it, and if they do not demand
spotless bathroom facilities, rangers, and interpretive programs they
don't impose many demands on other resources. And sure, anyone who
collects and removes animals, plants, rocks, shells, etc., on public
land should pay for licenses as well, including scientists.
        One thing I feel sure of is that shaming wildlife observers to pay for
their access via duck stamps is not going to work. It would be like
asking people to pay for a license to use the public library; some would
gladly do so, but the library would suffer because their numbers would
be too small. What we do is tax the entire public for libraries (and
police, and firemen, even if we're lucky enough not to use them), and we
should do the same for wild lands.
        Wild country--even farmland--is rapidly morphing into suburbs,
industrial sites, highways, etc. Saving more habitats means asking
everyone to pay up, even people who don't care or understand. The more
contributors, the less the cost per individual. Our public economy works
by asking everyone--even those who don't care or agree--to chip in a
little in so a lot can be accomplished. A number of Midwestern states,
nearly all of them red ones, have come up with small dedicated sales
taxes, 1/8-3/8%, for this purpose. The leader, Missouri, started this in
1976, and has collected over 1.5 *billion* dollars for conservation,
with voters regularly supporting renewals of the tax; Iowa, Minnesota,
and Arkansas have had similar results. This way, habitats for
butterflies, shorebirds, herps, and native plants could be part of the
picture, not just hunting and trapping. You can't call this idea
impossible: it's been done!
Bill Whan
Columbus