ENG131A Archives

October 2011

ENG131A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Coors, Colleen" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami Univ ENG131 Section A (Prof BrittonHarwood) Fall 2011
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:31:40 -0400
As we have talked about a lot with many of the stories we had read in
class, the theme of the story can relate to the christian religion if
you look within the context.  I think in the play, The Second
Shepard's Play, you can see the resemblance of Christian religion not
only in the end when it the lamb turns into Christ as an angel and the
shepherds are told to go to Bethlehem, but also in the beginning of
the story.  This is because all the 3 shepherds fell asleep and did
not watch the sheep that was so important to them.  This mirrors when
Jesus' apostles were supposed to be watching over him while he prayed
on the Mount of Olive, but they all fell asleep.  While they were all
asleep Jesus was taken prisoner by Pontius Pilates guards just as the
sheep was taken away by Mack.  This is important in understanding the
interweaving of stories/plays and the social context they were in, in
which the writer was obviously a knowledgeable catholic.