ENG131A Archives

November 2011

ENG131A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Molly Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami Univ ENG131 Section A (Prof BrittonHarwood) Fall 2011
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2011 21:50:45 -0500
I really enjoyed Donne's "A Valediction Forbidding Mourning," because he makes it sound as if both
parties have to be equally involved, "Whose soul is sense," representing the idea that two become
one, and thus can withstand time, and distance, because they never have left each other. It's
important the Donne points out carelessness of some, based on their inept for choosing poor
partners that aren't really connected to them. I think Donne makes a point of being aware of yourself
and your partner. I think this is completely relavent today, too, especially regarding our troops in the
military. It's really quite a beautiful poem. I also read Michael Shoffner's response about in poetry
every word having two meanings, so I will also have to apply that technique to my further readings.