OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 16:07:18 -0400

Date:  Friday, November 4, 2011
For  Central Ohio birders still looking for an Eastern Screech Owl for
2011, there  are currently TWO along the bike path at Alum Creek Park South in
Westerville.  Linda and I took a walk there this morning and located both a
rufous morph and a  gray morph sitting in the open sunning themselves.
We  parked at the north end of the bike trail near the Westerville Senior
Center and  walked the trail from West Main Street going towards Schrock
Road.
We  found the roosting gray morph eastern Screech Owl in the cavity Rob
Thorn  described as an “altogether-too-small cavity” last winter. The location
for  those who want to check for it is about 1/4 mile along the Alum Creek
bike path  south of Main Street in Westerville.  The bike path swings by
Otterbein Lake, then turns and dips into the edge  of the Alum Creek riparian
forest.  About 50-60 yards past the end of the Lake, just into the woods,
look up  into the trees on the left (East) side of the trail.  The bird looks
like a light blotch in a  cavity about 20-25 feet up in a thin trunk only
about 15 feet off the  trail.
The  rufous morph Eastern Screech Owl is roosting in the  top girders of
the steel bridge that crosses Alum Creek about half a mile  further south on
the bike path. I spotted it tucked in against the second cross  beam on the
north side of the bridge counting from the from the east end of the  bridge.
It was partially behind the beam but easy to see  clearly.
I  have photos of the two sights. If you want a copy of them email me
directly and  I will fire a copy off to you.
Charlie  Bombaci