OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:16:09 -0500
Which Ohio counties have the longest lists of rarities? While doing
something else, I compiled a quick list of first Ohio records by county.
I did this only for modern OBRC review species (rarities), because
commoner birds, or birds once common like the passenger pigeon (other
than introduced species like house sparrow, house finch, starling)
understandably don't have any recorded arrivals.
        Thirty-five Ohio counties have accepted records of first appearances of
rare birds. Seventeen have only one, and 28 three or fewer. I found
eight with 5 or more:

        Lucas County:  16
        Cuyahoga County  13
        Franklin County  9
        Lorain County  6
        Ottawa County  6
        Ashtabula County  6
        Lake County  5

This list certainly seems to support the common notion that Lakeside
spots attract more rarities.  My own chauvinistic observation is that
Franklin County--the only inland one--ranks so high.  We didn't have a
lake worth noticing until 1956 (Hoover Reservoir), and then only a fifth
of that one. Our few prairies were plowed a hundred years ago. Our
conifers are recent in origin. Concrete and lawns are competing with
corn & beans for the dominant type of ground cover.  The reason, I
think, is the number and quality of birders we have had over the past
150 years. Lucas and Cuyahoga have had both skilled observers and
productive habitats. Habitat aside, there is no substitute for going out
and looking.
Bill Whan
Columbus