OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2011 20:40:37 -0500
Hi Doug and all,

Ironically, I had made a post about Bonaparte's Gulls on my blog a few hours
before you posted this note. Your observation prompted to me to add some
other photos and an explanation of what is going on with the Bonaparte's
Gulls, and in the case of your observations, grebes.

I have witnessed the same phenomenon many times on Lake Erie, although the
gull encounters usually involved feeding Common Loons. You can see some
photos of Bonies caught in the act of exploiting the hard work of loons, and
an explanation for the behavior, at my blog:
http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/

Thanks for posting the interesting observations!

Jim

Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio
Like Nature? http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/