OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:14:42 -0500
Gene is right about who owns and cares for this site. I'd like to add
that today you can't just let land just "go native"; Metro Parks removed
over 130 MILES of drain tile, then sowed these ~800 acres with native
prairie plant seed, carefully collected locally and stored for such
purposes. The vegetation seems to be doing very well after a nice wet
growing season, too.
        I believe the intention was to attempt to restore this area to its
pre-Columbian (I use this word in both senses) state; there is some
historical justification even for the introduction of the bisons across
the road. I believe Battelle-Darby Metro Park has added over 30 species
to its bird list this year alone, largely due to iscoveries here and in
the Kuhlwein Road area...
Bill Whan
Columbus