OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2011 12:18:41 -0500
Noon update. The gull in question is being seen resting on to of a large blue industrial building with a green train parked in front. At 11:20 am it flew out and foraged with a group of gulls and cormorants offshore. It returned to the building at 11:40 am and was there resting up until 12 noon when it flew back out offshore. It has not be refound at the time of this email. Others have arrived to confirm the ID. It will be necessary to study the head/bill features. Notes: Adult basic Black-tailed Gull shows a smudgy/dusky brown nape and light brown "collar." A pale yellow eye with brighter white eye crescents. The bill is longish and slender with a black ring and red tip. There is extremely limited white in the primaries, restricted to only small white tips to the primaries. These characters have not yet been described in extreme detail on the bird in question, but all other marks point solidly to Black-tailed Gull. Look for more updates.

JB

Jen Brumfield
Cleveland, OH