OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:13:13 -0800
I stopped at Bluestone Business Park across from Euclid Square Mall off of E. 260th St. today on the way to Sims Park.  I have been stopping there since finding the Horned Larks weeks ago and hadn't found any since.  Today around 10:45am I found a large flock of 50-60 birds and it looked like the majority of them were Snow Buntings.  They were hard to see in the grass but you could hear them and they would fly to various places in the park close to the road.  The business park is yet undeveloped and is one big grassy field left over after they tore down previous industries and ground up the concrete leaving tall piles of it.  Also a  Red-tailed Hawk, few American Tree Sparrows and one Turkey Vulture.

Stopped at Sims Park in Euclid from 11:30 to 12:45pm.  There is an excavation company doing some of the new upgrades (I think) to the park.  They are putting in a wide path from the restrooms west of the Henn Mansion going down to the elevated area above the beach and east to the driveway near the pier.  It will apparently be asphalt.  Don't you just love asphalt.  Then they are going to put in a retaining wall just south of the new path to hold back the dirt I guess.  I didn't venture down to the pier but stayed in the west part of the park.  Hopefully they won't tear up the area in front of the path just above the beach were you often see butterflies and birds.  Otherwise, this is what I saw in or near the lake:

20 Scoters
White-winged 1 (there might of been three not sure only one had white on the sides of it)
Surf Scoters ~ 9 (last weekend Doug Deppen thought one of the Surf Scoters was a young male and today its bill looked more orange and I would tend to agree with him also adult male Surf still there)
Black Scoters ~ 9 all females
Common Goldeneye ~6 (could of been more did not go to pier)
Red-breasted Mergansers - large groups flew by did not see as many in water
Common Loon 1
Snow Buntings 2 landed on beach in front of rock piles in the sand multiple times

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/