OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Paul Dubuc <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Dubuc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:22:15 -0500
An early afternoon swing through the Harveysburg Road and Beach areas of
Caesar Creek State Park in Warren County:

Harveysburg Road:

Common Loon (1)
Horned Grebe (2)
Lesser Scaup (1 drake)
Ruddy Duck (33, 6 drakes)
Ring-necked Duck (17, 3 drakes)
Bufflehead (11, 2 drakes)

All duck species were in strictly segregated rafts.

Beach Area:

Common Loon (1)
Northern Shoveler (1, eclipse-plumed drake)
Killdeer (14)
Dunlin (1)
Ring-billed Gull (21, all adults)
Herring Gull (2, both adults)
Turkey Vulture (1)
Cooper's Hawk (1, high over lake)
American Crow (4)
European Starling (20ish)

While poking around in the cedar scrub between the beach and the Youth
Pond, I found a foot-long, dessicated carp hanging in a multiflora rose
tangle approximately 100 yards inland.  Osprey?  I've seen them drop fish
on the bank for later (albeit not this far from the water line), but it's
odd that it wouldn't come back for a catch.

No evidence of owls in the cedar and pine stands I checked, but an adult
female Merlin was jetting over the scrubby areas around the Park Office and
water tower.

One Black Vulture was spotted over Lytle-Ferry Road near Waynesville, and a
male Kestrel on a phone line just south of the Montgomery County line on
Rte. 48 on my way home.

Bird well,

Paul