OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 08:39:02 -0500
On Sunday, Tom Behlen, Paula Bartlett, and myself conducted the 15th
November census.  The first November census was conducted November 21,
1997.  Time flies!  After a week of mostly south-southwest winds, hundreds
of Common Loons and and Horned Grebes around the island, we conducted the
census in north-northwest winds and many of the loons and grebes had left.
But we were in for a pleasant surprise or two.  The first two hours of the
count were normal, but at around 9:30-10:00 AM we were at the state park on
the north side of the island.  There were several groups of duck hunters in
the bay and off the breakwall which were keeping most of the waterbirds out
of the area.  Then we heard a strange honking sound.  Looking up we
observed a flock of 280+ Snow geese.  Moments latter, another flock of 80+
flew over.  Then as we were working the North Quarry trail, a flock of 150+
flew over.  This group was lower and I noticed several small birds in with
them.  We counted 5 Ross's Geese in the group.  There may have been more
but they were gone to the southwest.  Should have looked at the first
groups closer.  Ross's Goose is new to the island counts.  We later learned
that other flocks of Snow Geese had been observed as well.  I believe this
is my largest count of Snow Geese for Ohio.  Have to check Ottawa NWR and
Killdeer Plains records.

The census ended with 54 species observed and 5311 individuals.  The 15
year average of species per count is 54.  The 15 year average of
individuals per count is 11159 individuals.  Our species count is average
but our individual count is less than half "normal".  Numbers of gulls and
waterfowl were down, as was that of Double-crested Cormorants.  The 24
individuals observed was our lowest number ever.  The average number of
cormorants over 15 years is 3200 individuals.

In 15 years, 106 species of birds have been observed on the November count.

510   Snow Goose
5       Ross's Goose
39     Canada Goose
7       Gadwall
76     Mallard
2       Greater Scaup
7       Lesser Scaup
3       Surf Scoter
2       White-winged Scoter
2       Black Scoter
4       Scoter species?
809   Bufflehead
196   Common Goldeneye
1271 Red-breasted Merganser
70     Common Loon
53     Horned Grebe
24     Double-crested Cormorant
3       Bald Eagle
*        Sharp-shinned Hawk
*        Cooper's Hawk
*        Red-tailed Hawk
1       Merlin
71     Bonaparte's Gull
28     Ring-billed Gull
176   Herring Gull
1       Great Black-backed Gull
*        Eastern Screech-Owl
*        Great Horned Owl
*        Northern Saw-whet Owl
4        Red-bellied Woodpecker
32      Downy Woodpecker
22      Northern Flicker
1        Eastern Phoebe
2        Blue Jay
67      American Crow
61      Horned Lark
107    Black-capped Chickadee
1        White-breasted Nuthatch
9        Brown Creeper
4        Carolina Wren
2        Winter Wren
5        Golden-crowned Kinglet
1        Ruby-crowned Kinglet
1        Eastern Bluebird
5        Hermit Thrush
178    American Robin
973    European Starling
148    Cedar Waxwing
45      Yellow-rumped Warbler
1        Eastern Towhee
12      American Tree Sparrow
1        Chipping Sparrow
2        Song Sparrow
86      White-throated Sparrow
26      Dark-eyed Junco
43      Northern Cardinal
17      Rusty Blackbird
1        Common Grackle
32      House Finch
37      American Goldfinch
25      House Sparrow

54 species observed on the census
5311 individuals observed on the census
* = species observed on the island on count day but not on census route

Tom Bartlett

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio