OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2011 12:54:37 -0500
I birded throughout Northwest Ohio this morning and had a few good birds.   Best were three Cave swallows that flew by to the east while I was walking the beach at East Harbor State Park.  They kept going.  I watched a while longer thing there might be a flight, but no more.  The only other bird of note was an orange-crowned warbler along the beach trail and 300 hooded mergansers in Middle Harbor.

At the beach in Port Clinton there were a few hundred Canada geese.  Amongst them were three cackling geese and one white-fronted goose.  Surprisingly, this was the only good goose numbers I saw all day.

At Ottawa refuge I saw two glossy ibis.  Its getting pretty late for them.  Are there any December records for them?  There were a lot of tundra swans in the area.  At Maumee Bay and Bayshore Power Plant three was nothing of note. I did scan for snowy owls,  but no luck.

John