OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Chris Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:00:20 -0500
To follow up on Scott's post. The Pacific Loon was observed by multiple observers (see below) after
painstakingly scanning through what seemed like 1000 loons. As Scott Hannan mentioned, the weather made for difficult
viewing, but we had at least 2 lengthy views of the Loon, with the last one being  near perfect, and with better light.

Good luck to all who might still consider finding this bird.

See you on the trails,

Chris Pierce
N. Olmsted, OH

Mansfield Sailing Club Pavillion, Richland, US-OH
Nov 27, 2011 10:30 AM - 2:00 PM
Protocol: Stationary
14 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  35
Scaup sp.  1
Common Goldeneye  1
Red-breasted Merganser  7
Ruddy Duck  1
Pacific Loon  1     Seen twice with great looks at the field marks and in direct comparisons with nearby Common Loons. Seen by myself, S. Hannan, the Auburns, and later 3 folks from Columbus
Common Loon  200
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Horned Grebe  8
Double-crested Cormorant  6