OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
John Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2011 23:53:11 -0500
Some minor clarification about JB's posting about the Clear Fork res.
pacific loon on Monday, Nov. 28.
(Pacific loon seen) "from the picnic area off of Route 97" Obviously, JB is
passing along information that was supplied to her.
There are 4 picnic areas at Clear Fork reservoir, along route 97. During
the warm months, there are signs at each area, designating the number of
the picnic area. Currently, the signs have been taken down for maintenance
by the reservoir workers.
The sail boat club is the first area along route 97, ~ 1/4 mile west of the
dam. The next area to the west is picnic area 1. The next area to the west
of picnic area 1, is picnic area 2 & 3. About a mile or so west of picnic
area 2 & 3 is picnic area 4.
Life would be simpler if the picnic area signs where up, but the locations
are straight forward-- not exactly rocket science.
The picnic areas after Nov. 1 have a cable across the entrance road,
preventing car access. There is parking space for a couple cars at each
picnic area, before the cable. Individuals on foot are permitted at the
picnic areas during "off season". The picnic areas are an excellent place
to cross-country ski when conditions prevail.
So after all this discussion, where was the pacific loon seen from on Nov.
28? I'm guessing, picnic area 2 & 3, which requires a 3/4 mile hike. Picnic
area 2 & 3 is very scenic, having a nice small stream, where I got a
catbird on a Mansfield c.b.c. once, and a nice area of pines, which
sometimes has red-br. nuthatches and occasionally, y. r. warblers, in early
winter.
Hope this helps.
Personally, I would begin my search for the pacific loon at the sail boat
club shelter building. If no luck there, move west 2 picnic areas to picnic
area 2 & 3 and walk on the paved driveway to the reservoir.
Good luck.
JH