OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:58:03 -0500
On Tuesday, Nov 29, I spent a very windy and rainy day along the lakeshore
from Lorain harbor east to Sims Park in Euclid. Strong NE winds all day
created high waves that crashed on the rocks and shore making observation
difficult.

I started at Wellington Reservoir that had several common loons and horned
grebes, 500-1000 ruddy ducks, and a few odd ring necks, lesser scaup and
buffleheads, as well as the usual flock of Canada geese. Conditions were
very poor for observation with wind, rain and fog.

Lorain harbor was very windy and spitting rain when I was there from
10-11am. There were 10s of thousands of Bonaparte's gulls everywhere, but I
could not pick out anything special among them, despite a lot of time
trying. I did find a 2nd-year lesser black-backed gull swimming in a calm
area among lots of bonies and ring-bills. There were 10-15 common loons and
several horned grebes in the harbor close to the docks. At the marina,
there was a tightly packed flock of red-breasted mergansers that numbered
in the thousands.

I stopped at Avon power plant, but there was nothing there, the wind and
waves being too wild. At E. 55th st. marina, there were the same birds as
at Lorain, though not nearly as many.

My last stop was at Sims Park for the widely-reported scoters. Despite the
giant waves and stiff wind and rain that made observation very difficult,
they were there. What I saw were 3-4 surf scoters, including one adult
male, 5-6 white-winged female/immature, and 7-8 black females. There was
also a nice flock of 10-12 common goldeneye, plus the usual red-breasted
mergs.

So, not the most productive "day at the beach", but an adventure none the
less.  Randy Rowe, Wooster