OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2011 17:15:33 -0400
At 3:30 pm today observed a Great Blue Heron, Great Egret and Sandhill Crane
on the west side of Madison Lake.  The state park is just over 4 miles east
of London, south of SR665 off Spring Valley Rd.

The crane and egret were together and the heron was in their vicinity on the
west side of  the lake visible from the north lot on the east side of the
lake.  7x35 binoculars raise a bit of question, but the Heron I know well,
the egret had black legs and yellow bill and stood about as tall as the
crane and I caught sight of the red on the head of the crane as it finally
stood tall and stretched its wings out wide.

I've hesitated to post before because, though I've birded somewhat casually
for 70 years, I have not invested the time and effort to be anything but a
casual birder.  With that caveat, I believe there were 10-12 Western Grebes
on the lake on Sat. 10/22.  They were fairly large, white throats and yellow
bills.  There has been no sign of them yesterday or today.  Maybe they have
moved down to Deer Creek Lake,

Bart Reinier

G Hobart (Bart) Reinier

PO Box 63