OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2011 16:48:19 -0700
I made another quick check of the Deer Creek Reservoir this afternoon. There has been a big turnaround since even yesterday. At this time of year every day can be both different and interesting there. Highlights today include 2 RED-THROATED LOONS, 1 RED-NECKED GREBE, and at least 1 FRANKLIN'S GULL.

Duck numbers and variety were down and no scoters were seen. Although still abundant, Bonaparte's Gulls were down in numbers from yesterday making scoping through all the gulls to find a Franklin's a little bit easier.

The road to all four picnic spots on the south side of the reservoir is open again this year. The 3rd and 4th areas offer great vantage points to scope out the SW part of the reservoir where there was the most activity today.

At the north end of the reservoir the most prominent change from yesterday was an increase in the number of Killdeers present. For kicks I counted 243 Killdeers from the road N of Pancoastburg. There were plenty more Killdeers further south of there working their way along the retreating mud. There was easily in excess of 300 Killdeers total around the reservoir today.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6604 (20111105) __________