OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2011 10:05:24 -0500
On our arrival to The Sandspit approach at 9AM, a flock of about 200+ Snow Buntings were immediately to our left, constantly moving over the boney sand ajacent to the boardwalk approach to the public beach. Upon reaching The Sandspit, we were, and still are, the only birders here. The previously reported juvenile Black Tern was still present, making laps around the area. Other birds of note are: 150+ Bonaparte's Gulls, 10 Dunlin, 1 Sanderling, 1 Red-breasted Merganser, 1 Great Black-backed Gull, 1 Forster's Tern, and 1 Common Tern. Amazingly, since our visit here last weekend, a wooden observation tower has popped up at The Sandspit. From it, you can see over the breakwall to view Lake Erie. It is presently 10AM, decisions! Do we head to Eastlake for the Sabine's Gull or stay here? It is sunny and 58 degrees. Bob and Denise Lane