OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2011 19:00:42 -0500
Julie Karlson and I stopped near the Corps of Engineers Visitor Center at
Buck Creek State Park this morning to scan the lake for waterbirds. I
started scanning the lake and spotted some Horned Grebes. A Bonaparte's Gull
was there with them. I scanned some more and found another Horned Grebe also
accompanied by a Bonaparte's Gull. Then I found a Pied-billed Grebe and it
was also accompanied by a Bonaparte's Gull. I watched the grebe dive and the
gull flew. Soon the grebe came up and the gull landed right next to it.
Again the grebe dove and the gull flew only to land next to the grebe when
it came up. It repeated this one more time while I watched. My guess is that
if any of the grebes came up with a small fish the gull would try to claim
it. Are there any other explanations?

Doug Overacker
Springfield, Ohio