OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2011 09:18:04 -0400
Updated through October, our Franklin County year list can be seen at
http://www.columbusaudubon.org/production/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=675&Itemid=216
  Birds seen already are in *bold* font.
The new birds we have reasonable chances at are:
        Eurasian wigeon
        white-winged and black scoters
        red-throated loon
        red-necked grebe
        eared grebe
        American white pelican
        golden eagle
        American avocet
        red phalarope
        laughing gull
        Franklin's gull
        Iceland gull
        lesser black-backed gull
        glaucous gull
        great black-backed gull
        common tern
        snowy owl
        rufous hummingbird
        black-capped chickadee
        Le Conte's sparrow
        white-winged crossbill
Chances for some (the shorebirds, the sparrow) are diminishing. All the
others have been seen, some regularly, in the months to come. Surprises
are of course welcome. If you see one of these, post on ohio-birds or
let me know.
        Lots of these birds are devoted to water, and those who bird at ponds,
marshes, quarries, and especially Hoover Reservoir south of the Smothers
Rd bridge will have the most luck. I have the feeling we'll end up with
a list any other county in the state will really have to scramble to equal.
Good birding to all
Bill Whan