OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 2011 14:29:55 -0500

This  morning a group of friends and I did some easy local birding around
the  Westerville-Galena area in northern Franklin and southern Delaware
Counties.  Everyone wanted to see the two Eastern Screech Owls I posted recently.
So we  began with the bike trail at Alum Creek Park South in Westerville.
We parked and  began leisurely walking south on the trail from near the
Westerville Senior  Center. Stop one, the gray morph in the tree cavity. It was
very visible as it  sat in the cavity facing the trail with one eye seemingly
peeking at us. After  everyone enjoyed our cooperative first on the wanted
list bird, we continued  south on the trail picking up a few common species
until we reached the steel  bridge over Alum Creek. There, sitting behind a
narrow cross strut was the  rufous morph Eastern Screech Owl. The head and
tail were visible, but the middle  was blocked, all reminding me of Congress.
Two extremes that just don’t meet. We  retraced our path and made one last
visit with the gray morph owl before heading  up to the Hoover Nature
Preserve.
Two  members of our party had never been to Old Sunbury Road in the
preserve. I led  our flock north along the old road bed. Several Bald Eagles were
active around  us, soaring over us at tree top level, once or twice with
trigs in their talons.  Nest Building? A thought I like and hope for. They put
on a great show for us.  In and near the pine stand we found Brown Creeper,
Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a  shy Barred Owl. The owl spotted us before we
spotted it and we had to watch it  fly away through the pines.
We  next hopped over to Hoover Meadows where we picked up several Swamp
Sparrows,  White-throated Sparrows, an American Tree Sparrow, Northern
Mockingbird and a  group of active Eastern Bluebirds. Although our list isn’t
extensive we were  happy with our morning as along with some nice finds we got to
spend time with  friends. A list of our morning follows.
Charlie  Bombaci
Species  observed:
Turkey  Vulture
Canada  Goose
Northern  Pintail (flock flew over)
Bald  Eagle (2 or 3)
Red-tailed  Hawk
Ring-billed  Gull
Mourning  Dove
Eastern  Screech-Owl (both rufous and gray morphs)
Barred  Owl
Red-bellied  Woodpecker
Downy  Woodpecker
Blue  Jay