OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 2011 16:40:14 -0800
Hello All,
     Just a reminder that the Ottawa NWR auto tour is open tomorrow (Sunday) from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM. Also, there was a White Ibis found there last Sunday (by members of the monthly Ottawa Survey group) that was re-found/photographed by some of the Ottawa staff on this Tuesday, so this Ibis (very rare in Ohio) may still be there. It is also possible that it could by now have joined 4 Glossy Ibises that have been pretty reliable in Unit 8-B for the past several weeks. This unit is located directly West of the old Ottawa parking lot, and on your right after first entering the driving tour road. These GLIBs are best observed, however, by walking N from the parking area, then W (to your left) at the first opportunity. From the observation deck and beyond, they may be seen foraging here, or look for them to take their short flights within this impoundment. Hopefully the White Ibis will also be found there among them, or in shorebird Unit 5 where it was
 found (on the auto tour), and which was so very good for shorebirds on October 9th and 16th. Please be aware that there is good foraging habitat (maybe better for Ibises) in adjacent units, including parts of the estuary. Also, good numbers/variety of shorebird species (10, including Hudsonian Godwits) were found in Unit 5 on Tuesday. Please report Sunday sightings to Ohio Birds ASAP tomorrow, for the benefit of fellow birders.

Good Birding,
Dan

Dan Sanders
42 Scioto St
Powell, OH  43065
614-596-5666

"When a man destroys a piece of art we call him a vandal; when he destroys
a work of nature we call him a developer." Anonymous