THEDRUM Archives

December 2011

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 02:13:57 +0000
Subject: AME Church Responds to Newt Gingrich

SOCIAL ACTION COMMISION
    1621 Wellington Road

African Methodist Episcopal Church
Los Angeles, California 90019

Bishop Carolyn Tyler Guidry, Chairperson

           213-494-9493 - voice

Jacquelyn Dupont-Walker,
Director
                                      323-734-5003 - fax

[log in to unmask] – email

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: J Dupont-Walker, 213-494-9493

Four days ago, we heard these classist remarks from former Speaker of
the House and Presidential Candidate Newt Gingrich….  "Really poor
children, in really poor neighbor-hoods have no habits of working and
have nobody around them who works. So they literally have no habit of
showing up on Monday. They have no habit of staying all day, they have
no habit of I do this and you give me cash unless it's illegal."  This
type of ignorance has attempted to damage poor people throughout
history.

Then, words from the African Methodist Episcopal Church, founded by
former slaves, and whose daily encounters clearly indicate that,
“Children whose families live at or below the poverty level and are
labeled as ‘poor children’ (as if their circumstance defines who they
are) are more likely to exercise genius in making due with less while
surviving with dignity.”   In fact their moral fibre, strong desire to
achieve, and  ultimate success makes “poor children” models for us.
Today many of us realize that our family’s income level equaled being
poor, in spite of the fact that our parents were teachers, preachers
and entrepreneurs.  Our parents and the adults in our neighborhoods
conveyed values, work ethic, and cultural norms that mirrored their
Christian faith and did not pre-destine us to lives of immorality,
crime, and illegal activities.

It is inexcusable that someone who wants to be a global leader and role
model in a country built by “enslaved and poor people” would utter such
demeaning stereotypes of “Really poor children…. In really poor
neighborhoods”.  Then he adds fuel to the fire by labeling adults in
that environment as shiftless deadbeats without skills to earn a living
wage and thus only engaged in illegal activities.

Not only do the lives of countless persons who became the leaders,
patriots, scholars, and prophets of our time bear witness that one’s
circumstance does not dictate their character, but we have clear
evidence of some persons with wealth whose character and actions would
better fit Mr. Gingrich’s description of “really poor children” .  In
fact one wonders if Mr. Gingrich is painting a self portrait –
hypocrite, adulterer, draft dodger, liar, check bouncer and scandalous
self-promoter.

Americans living in poverty have reached "an historic high of 46.2
million." According to another recent study from the Brookings
Institute, the number of Americans living in communities where poverty
is "extreme" -- neighborhoods in which at least 40 percent of the
population is poor -- soared by one-third between 2000 to 2009.  Many
find themselves in circumstances created by home foreclosure,
under-employment, unemployment, and circumstances created by a
lingering climate of economic distress.

We would suggest the Mr. Gingrich immerse himself in a really poor
neighborhood with really poor children to learn the truth.  Then we
will entertain his apology to folk like ………………  Madam C. J. Walker,
Mother Rosa Parks, Congresswoman Maxine Waters, LL Cool J, Oprah
Winfrey, Magic Johnson, Tyler Perry, Willie Gary, many bishops in the
AME Church, and others.

Our greatest hope and prayer is  that those who aspire to be political
leaders recognize that we cannot afford to ignore the institutional
constructs that perpetuate poverty.   America must get back on track –
creating pathways for all who come here to achieve their dreams.  Our
church calls upon leadership to make policy and take actions that will
provide a path out of poverty for the working poor and their children.
This must be our priority, and that of our leadership, so that this
problem – poverty – can be filed in the history book of “former
issues”.

Nothing must stop us from working together to create a groundswell in
support of lifting the most disadvantaged among us out of poverty, not
throwing dirt on them.  The Newt Gingrich kind of inhumanity must be
buried with no hope of ever being unearthed.

Sent from my BlackBerry device from Cincinnati Bell Wireless