OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2011 19:18:10 -0500
WHile looking at SE Owls, a coyote trapper told us of finding a dead owl and hawk that had killed each
other. After looking at the scene, this appears to be the case. When first found several days ago,
there was a distinct area of disturbance around the birds. Both birds had feathers in their beaks and
the hawk had obvious talon wounds on its leg and chest. Our working theory is the owl tried to take
the hawk off its night roost (there was a pine very near the birds) and both birds were killed in the
battle! Any other observations out there to collaborate or deny this theory?
Other notes on today's birds- Led three out to add grouse to their life, state or big year list this a.m.
and we were successful. Had 18 SE owls, 9 Harriers, 6 RL Hawks and three Savanna Sparrows this
afternoon.   Scott Pendleton