OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2011 12:26:31 -0500
I completely agree with the complainants about hostility on this list. The
last straw for me was last spring when the list exceeded it's daily limit
and several of the "list-hogs" made it clear they felt the less
sophisticated posters should refrain from posting. How shameful! Less
experienced birders should be encouraged, not discouraged from
participation. Funny how those who post the most are the ones asking others
not to post. If there is a daily limit, the only fair way to proceed is
"first come, first served." The suggestion was that the reporting of
rarities takes precedence over common birds. The guidelines for this list
clearly state the purpose for this is list is NOT ONLY to post rarities. I
rarely post now, as a result of that discussion, and I have noticed
postings are down overall. I see others took away the same message I did.

Suggestions directed to the list-hogs for next May when we start bumping
that limit again:

Don't post every thought the moment you have it.
Instead of posting you saw a bird... then posting again that someone else
saw it. Then posting that two more people saw it. Then posting a link to a
map. Then posting a link to a photo. Then posting a discussion on field
marks... try to CONSOLIDATE your postings into as few as possible, so that
others besides yourself may utilize the list.

How bout dem apples?

Karen Gray