OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:47:32 -0800
Sorry for this late post. Doreene and I made a trip to The Wilds this past Monday, in hopes of finding a Golden Eagle. No luck with the eagle, but finding several other raptor species (plus a Northern Shrike) made the trip worthwhile. Most of the raptors were seen in the area between the SR 340/Prouty Road T-intersection and Rural Dale Rd, or along Coal Haul Rd between Rural Dale and Knox Cemetery. A total of 6 Rough-legged Hawks were enjoyed, including a very beautiful dark morph. By 11:00 AM (raptor O'clock), many raptors were soaring on thermals created by this sunny day. The surprise of the day was a Short-eared Owl, soaring aloft with 3 Rough-leggeds, at high noon! Perhaps others of you have seen SEOWs flying during daylight hours. I've witnessed this on at least three or four other occasions, and on one occasion, there were several different owls. One sure has to wonder about this strange behavior, especially on a sunny day! Other raptors
 seen include 6 or so Red-tailed Hawks, 4 N. Harriers, and 3 Am. Kestrels. Most lakes in the area still had open water, but not large numbers of waterfowl. Waterfowl species seen include Trumpeter Swans (10 on one lake, including several cygnets), Mallard Duck, Am Wigeon, Gadwall, and Black Duck. Another highlight of the trip was a Northern Shrike. The Wilds area includes good habitat for Shrikes and one is usually reported from here every year. We found this one along a road that dead-ends, after about 3 miles, into SR 83 near Dye Cemetery. This road is also the first left off Coal Haul Rd, just past the bottom of the hill. The Shrike was found in the "dove hunting" (a sign) area, hunting on both sides of the road. There were also good numbers of Tree Sparrows in the area. As you may know, the roadways of AEP lands are mostly dirt, but recent road improvements have made them more driveable, especially when it is below freezing. We had no
 problems in a two-wheel-drive vehicle. Best of luck if/when you make a trip to this area, and please post if you find a Golden Eagle. So far, none have been reported from here, though they have been regular in this area for the past 8 or 10 years.

Good Birding!
Dan

Dan Sanders
42 Scioto St
Powell, OH 43065
614-596-LOON (5666)

"When a man destroys a piece of art we call him a vandal; when he destroys
a work of nature we call him a developer." Anonymous