OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2011 14:47:36 -0500
Sandy Ridge: (about 8:15 - 10 am)
A huge flock of Canadian Geese took off about 8:30 am shortly after I
arrived. The sound was deafening as they lifted off from the west pond and
flew off into the distance.
About 50 coots, mostly in the east pond.  Some feeding along the trail near
the path coming out of the woods.
About 20 shovelers, mostly in the east pond.
One adult bald eagle in a tree in the middle of the area. It flew to the
east over the houses. It appeared a short time later with a branch and
landed on the nest.
Small groups of mallards coming and going.
Four bluebirds
Two great blue herons.
Two hairy woodpeckers.
One blue jay.

Avon Power Plant: (about noon)
The boating lane was filled with feeding red-breasted mergansers from the
put-in ramp all the way between the breakwalls. The large group spilled out
into the open lake and over into the bay to the east towards the power
plant. You could only walk to the start of the pier before the birds started
getting nervous. I stood for awhile, watched with my binoculars and left to
let them feed.
A few Bonaparte's gulls were also flying and feeding in between the breakwalls.