OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:10:48 +0000
Passing along an update on the Snowy Owl near Bowling Green, Wood County, n.w. Ohio.

"As reported on the "RareBird" forum, the owl was first found on December 12 by Mark (last name not given) and has been seen several times since. Most of the sightings have been in the general area of Cygnet Road (Township Hwy 3) and Otsego Pike (State Route 235). Cygnet Road runs east - west, and crosses Interstate 75 about eight miles south of Bowling Green.

"The owl has been seen perched atop telephone poles a few times, but more often it has been seen sitting on the ground out in open fields, often some distance from the road, so a telescope is useful for getting good looks. If you go to look for this bird, please do not approach it closely. Snowy Owls that come this far south are often stressed and hungry, and we must not do anything to add to their stress.

"As of about 10:30 a.m. on Friday, December 16, Ben Warner reported that the owl was being seen off Cygnet Road, southwest of its intersection with Otsego Pike. It was about 500 yards out in a corn stubble field." We also had reports that the bird was seen later than 10:30, around midday.

Kenn Kaufman
Editor, Kaufman Field Guides series
http://www.kaufmanfieldguides.com/
Find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/KaufmanFieldGuides