OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2011 22:06:57 -0500
A few other ideas for branching out into new or otherwise underbirded areas
(courtesy of eBird):

1. Visit underbirded counties:

Here is a map I made a while ago showing the number of eBird checklists by
county (as of 2009)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5662560328/

For more details on "county birding" for eBird

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/about/county_birding

2. Bird random locations:

If you use ebird, see the link above for details on conducting random
counts -- which help collect data from areas with poor coverage.

Otherwise, you can get creative and come up with additional ways to add
some randomness to your outings (e.g. spin a bottle and spend the day
birding in a random direction from home -- highly recommended for central
Ohio birders!).

Most importantly, have fun! :)

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado