OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2011 18:41:16 -0500
I spent about an hour this evening at the south end of Alum Creek
Reservoir (park below the dam, take stairs to the top) scanning the
gulls coming in to roost. There were approx. 2400 Ring-billed, 100
Herring, and a few dozen Bonaparte's, plus two "Larus sp." that flew
in as the light was fading.  The first was a small, dark 1st winter
Herring-type bird that I couldn't quite call a Lesser Black-backed or
a Herring, and the second was a large 2nd winter bird that was
probably a pale 2nd winter Herring but could have had some Glaucous
ancestry.

Despite the lack of rarities it was well worth the trip to see that
many gulls down here in central Ohio!

The birds were mostly in two groups: one along the beach
north/northwest of the spillway and a second larger group out in the
center of the reservoir a few hundred yards north of the dam.  If
anyone is looking for white-winged or dark mantled gull species in the
Columbus area, the dam is a worthwhile stop 1st thing in the morning
or just before dark. Presumably many (most?) stay out foraging while
the sun is up, so I'm not sure how many are around mid-day.

Good birding (& Happy Holidays!),
Paul Hurtado
Columbus, OH