OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2011 09:08:03 -0800
I spent several hours on the lakefront yesterday 12/26 at Conneaut and Ashtabula.  All I found was the usual suspects at both places.  You can still drive out on the spit at Conneaut.  Usually at this time of year some of the small roads there are closed off for the winter.  There were duck hunters in the harbor at both places.  There was a westward movement of red-breasted mergansers.  Conneaut hosted: 100 mallards, Am. black duck, bufflehead, c. goldeneyes, 360 red-breasted mergansers, great blue heron, Am. coots, 175 Bonaparte's gulls, 1500 ring-billed gulls, herring gulls, and 3 great black-backed gulls.  Ashtabula had: 50 red-breasted mergansers, 30 Bonaparte's gulls, 525 ring-billed gulls, herring gulls, and 3 great black-backed gulls.  On the drive from Conneaut to Ashtabula I saw a group of 5 wild turkeys in North Kingsville.  I did see some raptors during the day's driving between home in NE Mahoning Co. to the lake and back: 2
 red-shouldered hawks, red-tailed hawks, and 2 Am. kestrels.  On the way home in late afternoon, I stopped at Mosquito WA in Trumbull Co.  I saw the previously reported N. SHRIKE along N. Park Ave. near the administration building.  Some e. bluebirds were around there too.  Craig Holt, Lowellville