OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2011 15:23:48 -0500
Rob Ostrowski recently shared some excellent advice (I've reposted his
message below) for using shared personal locations to report popular
rarities without resorting to an eBird Hotspot.

I'll let you read his email below, but gist of his advice is to share
an empty checklist for the location with your own email address (see
details below!) then post that link to a local listserv or web forum
so others can "accept" the shared checklist & have that location show
up in their "My Locations" list.

Excellent idea! :)

If you're unfamiliar with the issue of messy rarity maps in eBird,
here are a few OH examples to compare with the map mentioned by Rob.

1. Black-tailed Gull:
     http://tinyurl.com/AshtabulaOH-BTGU-ebird-map
2. Kirtland's Warbler in Columbus:
     http://tinyurl.com/ColumbusOH-KIWA-ebird-map
3. Yellow-crowned Night Heron nests, Bexley:
     http://tinyurl.com/BexleyOH-YCNH-ebird-map

Good (e)Birding,
Paul Hurtado

Original post at