OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2011 23:01:47 -0500
Andy is correct that there is value in documenting local movements,
and the Black-tailed Gull is a great example a rarity that visits
multiple locations as reflected in the eBird data.  But, I don't think
Rob's suggestion is "one location per rarity."  Instead, it's simply a
way to consolidate duplicate locations.  In the BTGU case, it would be
like creating one location for the cement bridge -- a specific spot
that hardly qualifies as a "Hotspot" but is associated with multiple
"personal locations" by folks in search of the BTGU.  It makes the
most sense for feeders and other specific locations a rare bird is
likely to be refound by others.

As with "Hotspots", it's almost always better to create a new personal
location when the existing options don't accurately describe the
location of your observations.  This kind of public sharing just
creates another option folks to use if it's appropriate.

Looking at the Kirtland's Warbler map, there are a few probable errors
& some clear duplicated locations mixed in with a handful of different
locations visited by that bird.  Sharing locations per Rob's
suggestion is simply a way to help minimize those errors and
consolidate those duplicate personal locations.

I should have included this link in my previous email, but to read
what the eBird team has to say about choosing personal locations, see
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/location_specificity

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado