OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2011 13:11:54 -0500
A month or so ago, I discussed some first Ohio county records for
various bird species. Obviously, most species have been here for a long
time, and only the rarer ones (maybe 100+ spread across 88 counties)
have "first" records.
        I find, ahem, that Franklin County and central Ohio rank far higher
than I reckoned at the time. Franklin County has twelve first records,
and the adjacent six counties thirteen more (most found by Franklin
County birders). I dare to suggest that Franklin County ties with
Cuyahoga for second place, only to Lucas County in first records for the
state, but I could be wrong (I find one Cuyahoga record--western
meadowlark--actually belongs to Lucas, which ties us). I welcome careful
lists that might prove me wrong.
        Here are the data I'm using: twelve Ohio species were first recorded in
Franklin County: Cattle Egret, Mississippi Kite, Prairie Falcon, Rufous
Hummingbird, Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Bell’s Vireo, Black-throated Gray
Warbler, Green-tailed Towhee, Bachman’s Sparrow, Harris’s Sparrow,
Yellow-headed Blackbird, and Bullock’s Oriole.  It was Franklin County
observers for the most part who added thirteen first state records in
the six adjacent counties: Eurasian Wigeon, Cinnamon Teal, King Eider,
Common Eider, Golden Eagle, Purple Gallinule, Franklin’s Gull,
Black-legged Kittiwake, Magnificent Frigatebird, Harris’s Hawk,
Long-billed Curlew, Ruff, and Spotted Towhee. I bow to Lucas County, but
who else can do better?
Happy new year to all,
Bill Whan
Columbus