OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2011 08:54:48 -0500
I find this report disturbing as while it is an isolated incident  I think
it may be the beginning
more frequent such reports.  No one is pointing fingers at any particular
group.  (Not everyone seems to have been there when there were unruly types,
either that or people's threshold for bad behavior is significantly higher)
My intent in cross posting is simply to provide information for
consideration and thought
about what do we do to try to head this off?  Humans I think typically poo
poo reports
of problems till it's a crises.  Wouldn't it be nice for the birds if that
didn't happen
as birdwatching and wildlife photography gains popularity?

I had the choice of posting the entire post or cutting off part.  I debated
and cut off the last part of the post as the thread
had become part of a discussion that is not relevant to the info I'm trying
to convey.  Which is regardless of fingerpointing, is the birding
community prepared to protect birds from poor behavior as the 'sport' grows
and the internet reveals the precise location of every find?
Efforts to grow birding as a sport in order to support conservation must
also consider these issues before they become an issue.

Marie, Dayton
P.S. here is the link if you feel the need to read the entire thread
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/MICH.html
-----------
Great Gray Own in Kingston, posted on SE MI listserv
I was there Thursday, and it was pretty disturbing. When the owl faced left,
ten strobes flashed (from ten to twenty feet away); when it turned right,
the rest of them flashed. If the bird flew a hundred feet down the road, the
whole group chased it.

Whether these people are photographers or birders or just curiosity hunters
with cameras, I don't know.  But the spectators with binocs only were not
the ones crowding the bird, shouting to each other or running to follow the
owl. I  wouldn't have gone if I knew what an awful scene awaited me. I have
to think there's something wrong with this owl, stuck hunting along this
very busy road during the day with forty people racing after it.