OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2011 13:52:44 -0500
This reminds me of something similar that occurred in Texas when I was
attending the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival.

Wed. night had been rainy, and Thursday was windy, keeping most birds down
in cover.  One of the King Ranch tours was scheduled for Thursday, with the
primary target bird being the ferruginous pygmy-owl.  All birds were
hunkered down in the wind, the owl no exception.  Finally, the guide lured
one in with tapes, and asked that no one approach it until all had had the
opportunity to view it in the scope.  A photographer felt that she was the
exception, approached the owl, which fled.  Almost half of the group never
saw the owl.  This was relayed to me by one of the group who didn't get to
see the owl.  ("My" scheduled day to see the owl, the guides made an
announcement on the bus, and there was no repeat of that incident.)

I'm all in favor of photographing birds.  I've considered getting some good
equipment myself.  However, like Mary, I've witnessed some poor behavior,
and not limited to photographers.

ABA has ethics guidelines, which I'm sure if followed would curb such
behavior.  I encourage everyone to review these at the link below:

http://aba.org/about/ethics.html

Beyond that, I'm not sure what the options are.

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co., OH