OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2011 19:19:09 -0500
Scott and other crazed birders,

     I will probably try for a Big County Year for Perry County (Southeast
of Columbus), along with my neighbor and fellow insane birder, Vicki Derr.
  We have each recently tallied our 200th life county bird (I'm now at 204)
but don't really know what to shoot for, maybe just 100, maybe 150).
 Birders get very big eyes this time of the year, so don't get carried
away.  Remember all those resolutions that get broken by Groundhog Day.
 Don't get too compulsive.  It's more important to just have fun.  Says he
who will bird all day tomorrow.  But he will have fun all the time.

     By the way, I know that my first bird of the year will be a Carolina
Wren.  There is a pair roosting in a Phoebe nest right outside my door.
 Sometime after midnight, I'll just look out the door and see a little ball
of feathers sticking up above the rim of the nest. They sublet this nest
every winter.

joe in the woods
Somerset, Ohio
Perry County