OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Irene Krise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Irene Krise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2011 22:32:45 -0500
I had the privilege to bird with Jim McCormac on the final day of my Ohio
Big Year. We managed to rack up quite a list which included N. Shrike,  N.
Mockingbird, Snowy Owl, N Pintail, Ruddys, Snow Goose, Gadwall, and masses
of Tundra Swan, to name a few. At around 4pm we were seeing a large
movement of ducks (particularly Black Ducks) and geese in the area and
they were beginning to settle in the ponds and fields. While we stopped to
scope the ponds we heard the call of Greater White-fronted Geese. A bird I
have been seaching for all year! Looking above us was a group of 5 flying
over. An awesome sight. The group of 5 settled in the pond with a group of
about 200 Canada Geese, Pintails, Mallards, and Gadwall.  A single GWFG
along side a single Snow Goose flew over shortly after but we lost sight
of those over the treeline. Ending the day we were able to pull a Short-
eared Owl sitting on a post along the roadside. Making a few more stops
along the fields searching for more owls we heard GH Owl, Barred Owl, and
Eastern Screech Owl. It was a truly amazing day!

Best of birding to all in 2012!

Irene