OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2011 14:39:41 -0500
Scott and all interested.

The cooperative Purple Sandpiper reported yesterday at Conneaut was located
where the sandy flats meet the breakwater at the corner where you must turn
sharply to the right if you want to drive toward the new observation
platform. Many observers enjoyed close views and captured remarkable images
of the bird yesterday. Late in the afternoon, Craig Holt said he observed
the bird leave the area. It may be worthwhile to spend time scanning the
breakwaters at Conneaut. Chances are the bird still is present. Another PUSA
may still be present at Ashtabula. Go to Lake Shore Park and scan the
distant breakwater to the east of the park. Many observers saw this distant
bird yesterday. Both locations may require patient careful scanning along
the waterline of breakwaters with a scope to relocate the birds. Check out
any plump lumps sitting atop rip rap for resting birds.

Tom Bain
Delaware County